Who needs a business license?

Any person or entity engaged in any business, trade, profession, or occupation in the City shall be required to pay an occupation tax for the business, trade, profession, or occupation. These licenses must be renewed annually and are available here: Business License Application Form.

What types of businesses are permitted?

The City of Harlem Planning and Zoning Code permits many types of businesses by right throughout the five commercial zoning classifications. There are additional businesses that are permitted as Conditional Uses which must be approved by the Planning & Zoning Commission and City Council in both commercial and residential zoning classifications. A complete listing of permitted and conditional use businesses is available in the Planning and Zoning Code, Title XV, Chapter 152, §152.046-152.047. Please contact the Planning & Zoning Department at 706-556-0043 for further information. A current map of the City with zoning classifications for each parcel is available here.

What if I want to work from home?

Certain businesses, trades, professions, and occupations are permitted as home businesses with the overall intent of protecting residential neighborhoods from business uses that would detract from the peace and quiet of the area. A full list of permitted businesses and guidelines is available here. Please note that a home business use carries an additional one-time fee of $25.

What types of permits are needed?

A sign permit will be required for signage at your businesses location. For more information please click here. A building permit will be required for renovations to the structure, additions, and new construction. For more information please click here.

I want to sell alcohol at my business. What do I need to do?

An alcohol license is required before being able to sell beer, wine, and liquor by the drink or package beer and wine. For more information on that process, please see Title XI, Chapter 114 of the Code. Alcohol license applications are available here Alcohol License Application Form.